August 6, 2014

She is teaching ME

One day last week I worked a half day and took Kiera to the dollar movies afterward to watch Rio 2.  While we were there I gave her a few quarters to buy some junk out of one of those little machines.  She got a little bow necklace and the mustache.  After the movie we went to see my friend Michelle so I could get my hair cut and brows waxed.  I told Kiera she needed to put the mustache on and ask Michelle if she could wax her mustache.  She did and Michelle though it was pretty darn funny.
 
After we left, Kiera kept the mustache on even when we stopped by the grocery store.  I was slightly cringing on the inside because of the attention it would draw.  Because if people are looking at her, people are looking at me.  I really don't like to be the center of attention.  I like to blend in.  But I let her do it anyway because it isn't about me, it's about her. 
 
She so very proudly walked through the grocery store and when the cashier told Kiera "I like your caterpillar" she politely replies "It is a mustache".  Just smile Ashley, just smile.  She forces me to be in what I feel are uncomfortable situations and I just have deal with it.  It isn't the first time and I know it won't be the last.  She doesn't even know it but she is teaching ME. 
 
I guess it all fits in our grand scheme of raising her to be a certain type of person, which is somewhere between the very best parts of Jimmy and me, and hopefully very few of our worst.  So far so good I think... 
 
And because I am not a completely boring mom, I did put it on at the theater (along with some bunny ears) just long enough to take a picture.  It got some laughs out of my girl which totally overrides any other feeling and replaces it with complete and utter joy. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...