November 12, 2012

I'm never buying crutons again

Every Wednesday Panera donates their leftover bread and other items to my work, since we are non profit.  I grabbed a small bag of white bread the other day because I wanted to take a stab at making croutons.  It was a nice thick sliced bread, like Texas toast.

Now staying true to my ways I didn't use any measurements.  I just added what I though would be a good amount of spices and liquid and of course taste tested it as I went.  So I used...

Bread
Garlic Salt w/ parsley flakes in it
Onion Powder
Grated Parmesan cheese (no it wasn't fresh)
Italian seasoning (just the sprinkle stuff of herbs that comes in the plastic container)
 1/4 cup  Margarine
1/2 cup Olive Oil

 Cube your bread.  It sure is nice to have  a little helper too.
  Melt the butter, pour it in with the olive oil, and throw in all the spices.  Mix well.

Drizzle a little at a time over the crumbs and gently fold the bread to coat all the crumbs.


Pour the bread onto a cookie sheet.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.


Take out of the oven to move the crumbs around then put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.


Then it's done!

It was so freaking easy to do it made me wonder why I didn't try it earlier.  They taste absolutely wonderful too.  We haven't had a salad to eat them on yet but that hasn't stopped up from popping a few in our mouths otherwise.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...