I found this recipe on Pinterest one day and made it basically exactly as the recipe called except I changed one thing which was adding just a little bit of the sour cream mixture to the chicken to add some moisture up in there. It was just ok but ended up pretty runny. Over the weekend I decided to try it again but I changed up the recipe a bit.
Here is my version...
Small package of corn tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheese (any kind you want)
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream (plus extra to serve on side if you like)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies (I use 2 cans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 glass dish.
2. Cook chicken and shred, set aside in a bowl.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
5. Add 1 cup of cheese and about half of the sour cream sauce to the chicken and mix.
6. Pour just enough of the sour cream sauce in your greased dish to cover the bottom. This will keep your tortillas from getting rock hard.
7. Layer tortilla, chicken, tortilla, chicken (like a lasagna). You will need to break some of the tortillas in half and lay them along the edge to to cover all of the pan.
7. Pour remaining sour cream sauce over the top and sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on top.
8. Bake 22 min.
9. Remove from oven and add remaining cheese to the top then broil on high until cheese is browned.
10. Slather on some Cholula hot sauce and sour cream if you like.
Mmmmmm, it was so so so good. Jimmy kept going on and on about how good it was and was in heaven. You don't see him like that very often so I was pretty darn excited. Kiera even ate all of it too! We will definitely be having this a lot more often!