May 6, 2013

Garden Box - Harvest number one

Over the past few days our broccoli has started sprouting a couple little yellow flowers and figured that probably wasn't good.  I hit up Google and found out I needed to harvest them ASAP.  So I went out and cut the largest heads that were ready, though there are some smaller ones below that I will continue to grow and I will harvest them when they are ready.  Man there is nothing like being able to break a piece right off the stalk and eat it. 
There wasn't a lot, and it definitley doesn't look like what you would buy in the store but this is an organic veggie.  Not that we am all organic food crazed (far from it) but it makes me feel better knowing it hasn't been sprayed with anything or whatever they do to veggies you buy in the stores.

So I rinsed them off and cut them up, stalk and all.  I was not going to waste any of it and what tiny amount I didn't use I put in our compost.  I plan on using the leaves and stalk once the heads are all havested only Iwill have to research that when the time comes.  While I was on Google I looked up the best way to preserve them since I wasn't going to eat it all right then.  I got a pot of water to boil and dropped in the broccoli for 3 minutes, then I scooped them out and put them in an ice bath for another 3 minutes to stop the cooking process. 

Doing this really shrunk them down to just 3 little containers of broccoli to freeze, which there probably still would have been 3 if I didn't boil them only the containers would be fuller.  I like to take individual sizes of frozen veggies to work (I also do this with brussel sprouts and asparagus in little baggies).  That way I can just grab one and throw it in my lunch bag!

Oh and we have had one little strawberry to pick and have 3 more that are almost ready, which we take in and share with Kiera.  I should start using our onions too since they are ready.  I have pretty much convinced myself that we need to expand the garden...next year.

1 comment:

Holly said...

YAY!!! Isn't that just amazing that you can grow stuff in your back yard and then just eat it? It never fails to surprise me that I haven't killed my entire garden yet. Keep going girl, Make that garden huge!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...