May 27, 2011

toilet tissue roll wall art

A few months ago on Design Sponge I saw a toilet tissue roll decoration thing and decided to try it yesterday though I had no idea where I wanted to put it.  Since we recycle we have a ton of the little rolls in our paper box.  I think I used like 10.

First you smoosh them down...

Then you cut it into strips.  Of course i was wingin' it like I always do and didn't look up any of the steps.  I just made it all up as I went.  At first I measured 1 1/4 inch strips which left me with the ones you see below.  I ended up cutting the 3 big ones in half and just got rid of those little end pieces.
 

Once I had the rolls all cut up I started playing around with different patterns.

Finally I went online to see what the others looked like and settled on doing some simple flowers.

To make the flowers i just hot glued them together close to the centers.  After I had all the flowers glued together I started messing around with the layout.   When I got that figured out I hot glued the flowers to each other at the tips if the petals.  Sorry but there aren't any pictures of that.  I can't hold my camera and operate a glue gun at the same time.  The pattern ended up looking a little different than I had originally planned since the way I laid them out wasn't exactly obtainable when it came to gluing them together.

I decided to hot glue little buttons on to hide the centers and give them more of a flower feel.

I pointed out a couple spots to Kiera in her room where I thought it would be cute but she decided on somewhere completely different.  It just had to go next to the smoke detector since she is currently obsessed with it's function/purpose and flashing light. 

For the large part I used 3 of the the smallest nails that we have which are about 1/2 inch in length.  Then there were 4 that I hung freely (with the tiny nails) to look like they were falling.  I am fairly pleased with the way it looks.  Kiera loves it though and that's all that really matters. 



3 comments:

lesley said...

Love all your designs! That's so fun!!

Holly said...

I've seen so many of these on blogs lately and have loved them from the get go. I really like that you didn't paint yours and left them natural. They look amazing in her pink and brown room. You should be proud of yourself. Amazing job!

ella@lifeologia said...

This is very cute. Love it ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...