A few months ago on Design Sponge I saw a toilet tissue roll decoration thing and decided to try it yesterday though I had no idea where I wanted to put it. Since we recycle we have a ton of the little rolls in our paper box. I think I used like 10.
First you smoosh them down...
Then you cut it into strips. Of course i was wingin' it like I always do and didn't look up any of the steps. I just made it all up as I went. At first I measured 1 1/4 inch strips which left me with the ones you see below. I ended up cutting the 3 big ones in half and just got rid of those little end pieces.
Once I had the rolls all cut up I started playing around with different patterns.
Finally I went online to see what the others looked like and settled on doing some simple flowers.
To make the flowers i just hot glued them together close to the centers. After I had all the flowers glued together I started messing around with the layout. When I got that figured out I hot glued the flowers to each other at the tips if the petals. Sorry but there aren't any pictures of that. I can't hold my camera and operate a glue gun at the same time. The pattern ended up looking a little different than I had originally planned since the way I laid them out wasn't exactly obtainable when it came to gluing them together.
I decided to hot glue little buttons on to hide the centers and give them more of a flower feel.
I pointed out a couple spots to Kiera in her room where I thought it would be cute but she decided on somewhere completely different. It just had to go next to the smoke detector since she is currently obsessed with it's function/purpose and flashing light.
For the large part I used 3 of the the smallest nails that we have which are about 1/2 inch in length. Then there were 4 that I hung freely (with the tiny nails) to look like they were falling. I am fairly pleased with the way it looks. Kiera loves it though and that's all that really matters.